Friday, June 13, 2008

The Sweetest Lefty Stroke This Side of Saeed Anwar


I hated Ken Griffey Jr. growing up for three reasons:

1. My best friend's favorite team was the Seattle Mariners, so naturally I had to hate them, for symmetry purposes.
2. I am and was a Bonds fan / apologist during the 90's and as such was annoyed by the attention Griffey got. I still believe Barry was the greater player during that decade but because of recent events, I guess that conversation is neither here nor there.
3. He was so good at everything and he had that stupid grin on his face all the time that made me want to punch hoes in the wall. That's not a typo.

Jr. hit his 600th home run on Monday and for a day we saw a brief glimpse at what might have been if the injuries hadn't sidelined him for the last 8 years. Sure it was on the road against the Marlins in front of a crowd of probably 158 people, but it made us realize again just how great he was in the 90s and allows us ponder for a second at what might have been. Barring injuries, Griffey would have been getting around to 755 right about now and it would be without the stench of steroid allegations. It would be a coronation at home and a display of respect and awe on the road. Which would be in direct contrast to the awkward love/hatefest that went on with Bonds' chase last year. Sigh, I guess there's no use crying over pulled hamstrings...

I'm embedding this video I found from when Griffey returned to Seattle play against the Mariners last year. It's 17 minutes long. I recommend you watch the first 5 and a half, and let the goosebumps envelope your body. It's highlights from Griffey's career with the Mariners so you get to watch some fantastic catches, some running into walls, some baserunning and of course the sweetest stroke in all of baseball.

0 comments: